The IT Trends day at Komplett on May 30th provided a new perspective on a number of future technologies and IT Trends. The presentations were excellent and it was a pity that the web participants were unable to make the journey to Torp and receive them face to face and take the tour of Komplett’s automated picking and warehousing facilities.
- The topics included:
FIORI 2.0 which looked to be a great improvement on all previous SAP front ends
- Robotic Process Automation (RPA), clearly the future for heavy, repetitive system tasks
- Blockchain – undoubtedly the future architecture for all open IT systems including SAP
- Internet of Things development on SAP Cloud Platform, feasible to create competitive advantage
- S/4 HANA 1709 – looks like a really major release
Presenters from Pearl, Sopra Steria, Skye, S5, Komplett and SAP delivered their presentations expertly and created a high level of interest from an engaged audience. Some lasting memories from my side were:
- SAP finally have a front end that is capable of competing with desk top, user interfaces
- The robots are not ready to take over just yet but they may make life a lot easier for many SAP users
- Blockchain makes a lot of sense when explained clearly and made me think of intelligence service, need to know protocols that have operated successfully for at least 2000 years
- IOT applications haven’t progressed very far in SAP but might now with the new development platform
- And SAP are keeping their promise of delivering a fully functioned S/4 system where functionality is returning to the core system.
Many thanks must go to Charlotte Haugem and Komplett for the facilities and the tour of their automated warehouse, which alone was worth the trip to Torp. A final, interesting reflection from Komplett’s automated warehouse was that taping boxes is clearly still a complex activity for robots so we humans may have a future after all!
Recordings from this event are available on this link